Friday, October 20, 2006

I am a visual person. This is why it is especially difficult for me to read about the reconstruction policies in Thailand after the tsunami. When the topic of discussion turns to land rights and appropriate distances to build from the beach, I see this:


And when they start discussing the urgency to fix the local fishermens' boats, I see this:




The number of people that ended up being swallowed by the sea and vanishing from the face of the earth is remarkable. This is what I see and can't help but to wonder what the story behind the lost, lonely flipflop is:




Today is one of those fabulous nippy days that whisper secrets of the upcoming winter. The sun is melting the slight frost off the remaining leaves on the trees. Thailand is far from here, but the images come back to me constantly. Maybe I did leave a piece of myself into the warmth of the water flowing through my toes as I was sinking into the wet sand. But what I took back with me is a need to do something. Something to ease the load of this world. I don't know what is is yet but I'm sure I will find out when the time is right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker